Take California: Call for March & Strike on Sacramento
Peace of the Action (POTA), CodePINK, Cindy Sheehan, United Progressives, several other entities, and all Vulnerable Folks are calling on us to march, strike, and occupy Sacramento and beyond beginning May Day (1st), 2011.
We seek your endorsement for – and participation in – this march/strike to strengthen our approach, our numbers, and our will.
Strike: No Business As Usual
No More Taxes for Wars & Occupations
No More Tax Breaks for the Rich & Their Corporations
To be clear, this is a march and strike in direct challenge to Governor Jerry Brown and the legislature’s austerity measures in California. The budget “fixes” proposed will come down on the backs of the most vulnerable, while continuing to provide corporate welfare, funds and use of California National Guard in wars of aggression, and a regressive tax structure.
We believe there is a better way.
- Close Corporate Tax Loopholes & Incentives
- Fully Fund Education & Other Social Programs
- End State Funding for National Guard Units Leaving California
- Raise Taxes (Employ Austerity) on California’s 650,000 Millionaire Households
- Employ Massive Prison Reform & Drastically Alter Criminalization Codes
- Bring Single-Payer Health Care to California
- Mandate & Create a Zero Carbon Economy to Mitigate Climate Change
All this is to say: End the financial and discriminatory wars on women, workers, unions, immigrants, indigenous peoples, disabled, and people of color, the poor, and homeless communities.
All this is to say: End the ecocidal war against the state and the planet.
All this is to say: End the cycle of perpetual war, occupation, and terrorism being conducted around the globe.
We recognize the work we do in California now can be a model employed in other states and nations, and likewise seek your support to galvanize the effort and spread the word to your members, friends, allies, and colleagues. We will share our successes and failures every step of the way, and will help organize in every other state and nation as appropriate.
The Plan: March. Strike. Occupy.
May Day (May 1) – International Workers Day: Begin Marches across the state to Sacramento.
- San Francisco, Bay Area: 1130am, 24th and Mission, March with Coalition of Immigrants & Workers to Civic Center (100pm); Depart on March to Ferry Building (300pm); Ferry to Vallejo (600pm)
May 2 – May 8: March through American Canyon, Napa, Suisun, Fairfield, Vacaville, Winters, Woodland, and Davis.
- Theme/Issue/Focus for each overnight location
- Regular press conferences with Rallies at each location
- Flyering, Bannering, Actions at each location
May 9 & Beyond: Arrive Sacramento, Join Teacher’s Union Occupation of Capitol, Occupy
- Set up Tent City occupation of Capitol grounds
- “Refuse to Move”
- Manage logistics, expand our ranks, employ tactics
- Teach-Ins, Die-Ins, Human Be-Ins, and more
We encourage and urge everyone to bring your strength, your issue, and your expertise to directly challenge California’s corporatocracy right where it presides: Sacramento.
We will not set an end date. We don’t intend to leave. We will not back down.
To endorse, email or call:
Peace of the Action (POTA)
email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
202.487.1201 (name, number, organization, email)
Bay Area Code Pink
510.540.7007 (name, number, organization, email)